Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Busy Summer Days

Sorry I haven't gotten anything new up since my analysis of Seussical.  Summer has been crazy so far; last week I was house sitting for the first half of the week and then cleaning for my sister's graduation party the second.  This weekend we have a huge family reunion, so it mean even more cleaning and organizing to get ready.  After this weekend things will hopefully slow down a bit, and I will be able to watch a few movies and read a few books and will have a little bit more material to work with for future blogs.

Today I ran into one of the major problems with trying to write several different things at once... you end up REALLY wanting to write one thing and really NOT wanting to write the other.  I want to be working on my creative writing today, but I really should be working on writing a critical literary analysis on Shakespeare's Macbeth.  This dilemma has two possible solutions.  1. I can suck it up, get over it, and work on my analysis.  If this was the school year instead of the summer, this is the option I would choose.  2. I can procrastinate writing my analytical essay until tomorrow, and hope I am in a better frame of mind for writing it.  I am heavily leaning toward option two right now, as I have already begun the procrastinating process by writing here instead of working on the essay right now.  It really should not be that hard to write this essay, I am simply doing an analysis of a film adaptation of the play Macbeth and determining whether the adaptation is a bad, good, or excellent interpretation of the play.  I have plenty of material, the problem is, I am simply not in the mood to talk about the dramatic use of color in the film to emphasize the shift in the plot, or how the film maker's decision to place the film in a modern restaurant kitchen creates an interesting visual component as the characters are constantly working around blood and knives.  If it seems like I am brainstorming my essay here, I am, in an attempt to get to the point where I can actually go write it.

I am looking forward, within the next couple of weeks, to getting a couple more ramblings finished and posted.  I have recently begun watching the BBC TV show Merlin, and once I have finished the first season, I look forward to reviewing the series and talking about how it varies from typical Arthurian legends and why the show changed those aspects for the modern audience.  Right off the top of my head I can say that the choice to present Merlin as a teenage boy with the weight of the world on his shoulders instead of an erratic old man points to the obsession of modern culture with youth and the desire not to have to grow up.  I am also hoping to go see Snow White and the Huntsman next week sometime, and from the commercials, I think there might be some visual symbolism and interesting characters to analyze.  We shall see.

Well, an essay on Macbeth is calling my name, so that is it for today.  If there are people out there actually reading this, please feel free to comment on anything you see.  Criticism and argument are always welcome; I will never become a better writer without hearing what other people have to say about me.

Back to Reality, 
Megan Belluomini

No comments:

Post a Comment